If your organization is looking for a modern, convenient way to fundraise, text donations for nonprofits is something new and innovative for your board to consider.
With thousands of fundraisers for various nonprofits going on all the time, it can be challenging to find the best avenues to bring in funds. You certainly don’t want to leave any revenue on the table because other nonprofits are beating you to the punch.
Software programs that facilitate text message donations for nonprofits can provide your organization with an efficient way to step up your fundraising efforts.
We’ll describe what text-to-donate for nonprofits is, how it works, and how you can maximize the potential of this cutting-edge fundraising tool.
Understanding Text Donations
What is a text-to-give fundraising program? Simply put, it’s a software program that reaches out to potential donors nudging them to donate to your nonprofit that allows them to send in donations via text messaging.
Text donations are also known by the names text giving, text-to-give, mobile giving, text-to-donate, or text-to-tithe. No matter what you call it, text donations have a lot to offer your nonprofit. Donors can give at any time from any place and your nonprofit will receive notice of the funds within seconds.
Text donation platforms work effectively for specific fundraising campaigns as they give donors the ability to target donations toward their favorite events. No matter what name you choose, a text donation campaign can reinvigorate your fundraising plan in short order.
How to Set Up Text-to-Donate In a Few Easy Steps
Texting messages to friends is now a common activity, but you’re probably wondering, “How do I set up text-to-donate for nonprofits?” It’s easier than you might imagine.
The best way to envision this tool is to view it from the individual perspectives of the nonprofit and the donor. Text donations for nonprofit software programs leverage automation, making it a straightforward process for fundraising organizers and donors.
The various platforms have their own nuances, but here’s a glimpse of how text donations for nonprofits work in 4 simple steps.
- Choose a mobile texting provider, and they’ll give your nonprofit a unique mobile phone number.
- Select a keyword for donors to reference. For example, if you were hosting a fundraiser for a food bank, you might use the keyword GIVEFOOD.
- Promote your campaign, asking your donors to simply text GIVEFOOD to your unique mobile phone number. When they do, it will take them to a link where they can make a donation.
- You receive the funds shortly after.
The process is just as quick and simple for your donors. There are 4 automated steps on their end as well.
- Donors send the keyword to your unique mobile number.
- They’ll receive an automatic message that contains a donation link.
- When donors click the link, it will take them directly to your donation page.
- They can click on the donate button on your page, and you collect your donation.
Benefits of Text Donations
Many nonprofits are cashing in on the inherent advantages of text-to-give for nonprofits. Let’s take a look at what makes text donations such a great way to bring in funds.
- 27 billion people in the world use cell phones every day, making texting an easy way to reach them.
- 33 billion people in the world are active social media users, making social media platforms effective outlets for promotional campaigns.
- Donors can easily make donations with just a few clicks, even while they’re on the go.
- You can easily set up recurring donations for those who prefer it.
- Text messaging is a great way to keep donors interested and engaged, which strengthens their relationship with your organization.
- Texting allows you to personalize interactions to improve the donor experience.
- Text donations offer an easy way to collect data on your donors so you can personalize interactions even more in the future.
- Texting provides a contactless way for donors to give during times when it’s not possible to attend galas or other fundraisers in person.
- You can easily integrate text donation campaigns with social media campaigns, fundraising outreach letters, and in-person events.
After you’ve set up your text-to-give for nonprofits program, you’ll want to review our tips for maximizing the potential of your next texting donation event.
Tips for Success with Text-to-Give Platforms
The idea of mobile giving will probably seem a little foreign at first, but the automation aspect of the program will help you keep things rolling.
To ensure you have a successful text-to-donate campaign, we’ve compiled a list of tips to help you get your campaign off to a great start:
- Outline a text-to-give strategy for your fundraising campaign.
- Evaluate various texting software providers and select one that suits your nonprofit’s needs.
- Designate someone to be in charge of your text donation campaign.
- Decide where to allocate the funds you receive (annual giving, specific fundraiser, etc.)
- Determine the date to launch your campaign and the date it will end.
- Develop a strategy to promote your text-to-give campaign. Ask your supporters to share the link with their friends via text, on social media, and your website. Consider press releases, newsletter announcements, email blasts, etc.
- Establish an overall donation goal that’s aspirational, yet realistic.
- Set up a plan to keep your supporters updated on the progress toward your goals.
- Set up metrics to track your results (how often individuals or groups donate, how much donors are giving on average, etc.) to follow the donor’s journey.
- Leverage opportunities to alter your messages to generate greater impact if your donations aren’t tracking well.
- Send an automated, personalized thank you after receiving donations.
Most nonprofits that have led the way in text-to-give donation campaigns have found them to be effective, efficient, and worthwhile. Those words should be music to your board’s ears.
On that note, you’ll also find BoardEffect’s board management system to be just as convenient and effective for managing your board’s business as text messaging is to your fundraising efforts. The secure platform provides all the digital tools your board needs to set up successful fundraisers for text donations for nonprofits and other types of fundraisers.