BoardEffect is committed to providing quality resources to keep you up-to-date on the latest issues, trends and best practices in board management and governance. Below are our webinar event offerings! Sign up for free or watch old events on-demand.
The Declining Diversity of Nonprofit Boards and What to Do About It
With all the talk in recent years about diversity on nonprofit boards, you would think that nonprofits across the country might be prioritizing this issue, and by now we might see boards that are more representative of the populations they serve. In fact, BoardSource’s Leading With Intent report shows that diversity has actually declined on nonprofit boards. Is this a question of ineffective or inept action, or are boards simply not prioritizing diversity? Find out in our exclusive webinar with Anne Wallestad, BoardSource’s CEO, and Vernetta Walker, BoardSource’s Chief Governance Officer and Vice President of Programs, with special guest Ramona Johnson, Senior Relationship Manager for the Southern Region with NeighborWorks America. We’ll delve into what it looks like when a board resists diversity and how you can encourage change on your board.
Among the takeaways you can expect:
- What does the research actually say and what does it mean for your organization;
- What does it tend to look like when a board resists diversity;
- What action steps can you take now to lay groundwork for change.
Generating Better Board Decisions
Join Dottie Schindlinger, Governance Technology Evangelist of Diligent, for this brief conference teaser webinar designed to help your board think differently. This session provides you with an overview of:
• Ways to re-frame problems and consider issues from multiple perspectives simultaneously;
• “Generative thinking” – which can lead to a host of creative/better outcomes to challenging situations; and
• Opportunities for robust discussion in board meetings – allowing space for board members to be curious, intrigued, and highly engaged.
Dottie will provide a brief overview of “generative governance,” first introduced in Governance as Leadership: Reframing the Work of Nonprofit Boards, by Richard P. Chait, William P. Ryan, and Barbara E. Taylor (Wiley, 2005.) Their work describes how truly high-performing boards find ways to serve as the organization’s “sense-makers,” deciding which issues to pay attention to, and interpreting what those issues mean for shareholders, investors, and other stakeholders. Through this approach, directors can greatly improve the quality (and quantity) of their discussions, leading to greater insight and generating better decisions.
How to Get Your Board "Onboard" and Aligned
Your board members are an extension of your organization, and just like you and your team, they are best equipped to support and propel your mission forward when they are strategically aligned. However, this can often be easier said than done, which is why Plenty and BoardEffect have joined forces to guide you through this critical, and sometimes complex process.
Join our teams for an exclusive webinar on how to create alignment with and within your board. During this 60-minute webinar our teams will explore the following:
- What true alignment is, why it matters, and how to recognize when it’s missing
- How you can use strategic planning to create alignment and the steps to get started
- An introduction to the tools you can use to reinforce your strategy once it’s created
The Completely Revised Guide to Great Board Recruitment
Recruiting board members for many nonprofits is an exercise lacking not only in vision but in common sense.
The truth is nonprofits have been sold something of a bill of goods when it comes to board recruitment and this results in some all too familiar problems that repeat not only in the sector overall but in the same organizations over and over again.
Vernetta Walker is vice president of programs and chief governance officer for BoardSource.
Anasuya Sengupta has been on the Board of the Nonprofit Quarterly from August 2015.
What is Board Engagement Anyway (and how do we get more of it)?
Board engagement is a term often used but rarely defined.
Yet, building a highly engaged board is essential to the vitality of any board and organization. Join us for a lively “talk show” style webinar designed to explore ways to measure and build board engagement – with an eye toward improving your organization’s performance.
Charles Dahan, an expert in helping organizations define and maximize engagement, will teach attendees how to:
- Quantify board engagement
- Three strategies to increase member engagement tailored to their definitions and needs
- Leverage high-performing leaders to increase involvement across the organization
“BoardEffect has been a key driver in regards to the execution of our strategic plan which was accomplished quickly and efficiently. BoardEffect is a real boost to our governance processes.”
President/CEO of Partners FCU